Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Sweet Potato Casserole

      FALL is here whahoooo !And I'm ready for some lovely fall treats!!! . When I think of the beautiful fall season ,I think "Pumpkin & Sweet Potato" ohh so yummy .Sooooo in this post I will be doing a sweet potato dish and my next post will be pumpkin dish . The inspiration to this most delicious sweet potato casserole after a real good friend of mine asked me to bring a dish to her Baby shower. Shout out to Kimberly :) love you girl. I searched for a recipe that had less sugar and also less processed sugars. I found this particular recipe on Skinnytaste.com . Now Skinnytaste has lots of delicious recipes that are low in fat and low in sugar.  While making this dish ,I had to tweak some of the ingredients to get the recipe to my liking.So what's the verdict of this delicious dish? Ummm Amazingly Scrumptious !!! My friend wanted the recipe right away( I also made her another dish later on after the shower). I shared with co- workers and they also wanted the recipe. Now you can see why I'm blogging it:),so let's get started 


                 *Sweet Potato Casserole*
           Adapted from Skinnytaste.com




Ingredients: 
      (Sweet  Potato Part  1)
  • 2 lb. sweet potatoes (about 5 medium), peeled
  • 1/2 golden raisins or regular (add more if you like 
  • 1 /4 cup coconut sugar/honey 
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp allspice
  • 8 oz can unsweetened crushed or small pieces of pineapple , drained

      ( Spice layer Part 2)
    -  1 tablespoon of cinnamon 
    - 1/2 tablespoon of nutmeg
    -  Pinch of ginger 
    -  Pinch of cloves 
    - 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
    - 1 tablespoon of coconut sugar
*** (if no coconut sugar just add more
brown sugar)

                       (Spiced nuts&
             Marshmellows part 3)

  • 1 bag of mini Marshmallows
  • 1/3  cup walnut pieces
  • 1/3  cup pecan pieces

>>>Here we go (Part 1) <<<

1) Cut sweet potatoes into large 
chunks; boil potatoes in a large pot  covered with water until potatoes are soft if pierced with a fork.  (30-40min) 
just keep checking 
 



2) Drain and return to the pot.

3) Preheat oven to 400°.



4) Mash the sweet potatoes with a masher or fork 

5) Add in raisins, agave, pineapple, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, brown sugar and nutmeg. Mix all ingredients in , check to see if you like the flavor , add more spices and sugar to your liking .


 

6) Lightly spray a pie dish or,casserole dish or even individual ramekins with oil, spoon in sweet potatoes.

****  I put my sweet potatoes in the fridge to cool due to a party i had the next day.  The next day I added spiced 
nuts and Marshmallows.


<<( Spiced layer Part 2 )>>

Add all ingredients spices and sugar in a small Baggie & shake then add it to 
top of your sweet potatoes dish, 
spreading it all around covering the top layer. Just a nice thin layer. Try to save some of those spices for your nuts.


  



*** (My dish wasn't hot so I don't know how it works with potatoes steaming 
hot:) 

<<Spiced Nuts Part 3>> 
Use left over spices from spiced layer 2 , if none is left redo spice layer and add 
nuts , save 
 



Put back into refrigerator with foil . Pull out next day or when needed to be cooked and add spiced nuts and Marshmallows 




 -Bake for 30 minutes at 350 ' degrees .


 

4 comments:

  1. It was delicious! I am going to try this recipe for this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi thanks for your patience :) I did make a bit more adjustments to this recipe :) I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me know how it turns out :) . I will be making a vegan pumpkin pie this weekend !!! Yum yum

    ReplyDelete