Saturday, September 21, 2013

Cinnamon Applesauce

I'm back !!! Sorry for being gone so long :( but the good news is that I'm back :)

 If you didn't know I'm a teacher yes yes ! So part of our curriculum is nutrition and we get to do lots of actives with food. Well when all the activities are done the teachers are stuck with left over items. Lucky for me I have neighboring teacher who likes to share, she sent me home with with about 11 apples form a activity done in her class . A Shout out to Miss Mickey :) !!!!!! So I thought to myself what to do with these ? Well I did what I always do , go blog searching  hahahaha. So many creative people and so many great Ideas and they share it all in there blog Well I came across this wonderful blog page called "Paleo Mama" She had a wonderful recipe for cinnamon applesauce , which is my favorite type of applesauce :)  http://thepaleomama.com/2013/09/homemade-applesauce-coconut-sugar-sage-cinnamon/I also was attracted to this recipe due to two key ingredients: Lemon & Coconut sugar yum yum :) Here some pics and the recipe , Enjoyyyyyy


Ingredients:
  • 6lb apples – a mixture of different kinds are best but not necessary(I used the 11 apples)
  • 6TB of lemon juice or juice of 2 fresh-squeezed lemons( I used 3 lemons and it was pretty tarty ) 
  • 1/2 cup coconut sugar/crystals
  • 1TB ground cinnamon
Supplies Needed/Encouraged
Directions: 
1)~ the lemon juice into a large pot 
2) ~Peel and core each apple, then cut into chunks. I HIGHLY recommend this peeler if you want to save lots of time. 
3)~Drop the chunks into the lemon juice and coat each apple piece with lemon juice.
4)~Stir in the coconut sugar
5)~Add about an inch of water to the bottom of the pot; just enough to prevent the apples from sticking.
6)~Cover the pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until the apples are soft, about 20 minutes. Then uncover the pot and cook for another 5 minutes.
7)~Take your immersion blender (if you don’t have one, you can use a blender or food processor) and smooth the apple mixture to your liking. You can leave it however chunky you want.
8)~Now bring the applesauce to a boil then reduce the heat to medium-low and cook while stirring. You will see the sauce start to thicken.

9)~This is where you stir in the cinnamon .
10)~If freezing: let the applesauce cook, then spoon into freezer bags and freeze! Should be good for a year or more in the freezer.
___________________Enjoy :)Enjoy :) ______________________

No comments:

Post a Comment